Friday 6 July 2012

Tangled Twinchie


I decided I would post this - though it seems a very ordinary creation to me - as it might encourage others who are setting out upon something new. It is based upon the first tangle (Crescent Moon) in Suzanne McNeill's Zentangle Basics book. I started out with something else in mind & tried using a stamped image but quickly discovered that I was trying to run before learning to walk - something that I have been reminded of time & again over the last week.

In the past an aspiring artist learnt by serving an apprenticeship & copying his Master's work, he didn't just dive in & produce his first painting, but learnt about his materials & went on from there working on a sound foundation (aha! That's why Art Degrees have Foundation Courses). So, why do I expect myself to be able to produce a stamped or complex piece of artwork with tangling just by looking at the directions & jumping in? Some may find that a congenial approach but I find I am discouraged - that is one of those important lessons that I have been re-learning this week.

So, I have to start from where I am, serving my own apprenticeship & in that way I will relax & learn systematically how to create the complex tangled masterpieces that I see in the blogosphere. Correction: learn how to create more complex tangled pieces according to my own style! Systematic practice is the key coupled with knowledge of materials - I was reminded that the relationship between different papers & pens will give varying results as I wandered away from using the recommended Sakura Pigma Micron Pen on smooth paper.

I had to laugh for as I started to write the above I saw this post, became distracted & began to skim it through but stopped when I came to the story about Maria & Rick testing pens & papers for I wanted to write the above first. I have now avidly read Erin's Zendala Dare 13 through & know from a little experience that what she describes is absolutely true.

Challenge Entered
Show us your Twinchies Challenge 1 - Anything Goes

13 comments:

Lorraine said...

hi huni i absolutely love your twinchie it looks fab huni you really are getting clever at this technique it is so fun to read your posts thankyou xx

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Hi Paula, this is a great Zentangle Twinchie. I too tried Zentangle for a Twinchie, although I didn't read any of the 3 books that have on it and didn't realize that there is some kind of structure? Guess I should read more of the books :) Shirley

Zoe said...

Hi Paula, thank you for entering this fab twinchie into our first challenge, hope to see more entries from you in the future, gook luck. Zoe xx

GinaA said...

Great idea to make a tangled twinchie. Your post is very interesting, I like the idea of an apprenticeship. I wonder if anyone does classes in the UK. I would love to go on one. Thanks for the link to the Zentangle Dare #13. Am definitely going to have a go.

Aquarius said...

Well done for getting this Zentangle twinchie completed against the odds - hope you are feeling somewhat better by now. Yur post made me smile and I'm off to follow the links too. I do admire your considered approach to things - I'm more of a 'dive in at the deep end and hope for the best' kind of person on the whole!! Whatever the approach I hope we both get there in the end.

Barbara said...

What a great idea, and a fab twinchie.....I haven't done any zentangle projects yet, but might give it a try, it looks interesting. Thank you for joining our first TWINCHIE challenge. Barbara xx

Sarn said...

Ooh this is lovely. The 2nd zentangle Twinchie I've seen. I didn't realise there was so much to it! Keep up the good work.
xx

jackiescrafts said...

Love your twinchie Paula having a go at the first 2 tangles in the book is as far as I've got . I love reading about your experimenting and your art journeys thank you so much for sharing

Jackie x

Eileen said...

Super work here Paula... and interesting links as well Many thanks for the info x... thanks for joining in the Twinchie Challenge
Eileen xx

Kate M said...

This is a great Twinchie and I must have a go at this Zentagle thing!
Kate
x

Paula Whittaker said...

never done zentangle myself but like your post and twinchie.

Elaine said...

Well done for getting started on a zentangle challenge project. I still feel nervous about the freestyle approach, but maybe I am starting my apprencticeship too, because today I have been sort of doodling - wonders will never cease!!!

Hope you continue to enjoy your experiments.

Elaine x

Elizabeth Allan said...

Amazing detail all in just two square inches!